Built in 1866 during the reign of King Norodom, the Royal Palace still serves as the residence of the King and Queen of Cambodia. The royal complex is situated on the western bank of the cross division of the Tonle Sap River and the Mekong River.
The Royal Palace is divided by walls into three main compounds, on the north side is the Silver Pagoda, to the south side is the Khemarin Palace and the central compound contains the Throne Hall. The buildings of the palace were built gradually overtime, and some were dismantled and rebuilt as late as the 1960s. But some old buildings dates back to the 14th century.
The Royal Palace makes a great example of Khmer architecture featuring its layout of the defensive wall (kampaeng), throne hall (preah tineang), Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Preah Keo Morakot), stupas (chedei), towering spires (prang prasat) and mural paintings. The Royal Palace of Phnom Penh covers an area of 174,870 square metres.
Inside the Palace, you can also visit Moonlight Pavilion, an open-air pavilion that serving as stage for Khmer classical dance in the past and present. It is one of the most notable buildings of the palace as it easily seen from the outside as it was built alongside a section of the palace walls.